About fine flavor cacao and why it tastes so good


We call our cacao brand ´Wild Child ceremonial & fine flavor cacao.' Yet, what does 'fine flavor' mean? And why is it important to us? A little introduction:

Cacao harvest is similar to that of wine where every harvest season has a different character to it. Cacao can taste earthy or floral or sour, have a hint of strawberry, caramel... Can you imagine how exciting this is for chocolate connaisseurs?!


It all depends on the type of cacao, the amount of sun, rain, other vegetation around and the quality of the soil.


Yet, we got used to the ways of the commercial chocolate industry that demands the exact same taste season after season. Therefore these factories work with bulk cacao. They mix different batches of beans to get a homogenous taste and top it of with -often - loads of sugar and vanilla flavoring.

94% of the cacao production in the world is bulk cacao and is produced for the well known chocolate giants. The other 6% is fine flavor cacao, and growing.

Farms that aim to work under this fine flavor principle help to protect the bio-diversity of the land and with it, the total environment, including animals and other plant species. This results in great tasting, high quality cacao.


Next to taking care of the soil and land, they master the difficult fermentation proces: this is one of the key factors in flavor development of your final chocolate! It takes at least 5-7 days to fermentent the beans! (There is so much to share about this.. we might share another post on it.)


Our cacao comes from The Domenican Republic. A country that - next to Ecuador, Venezuela and Peru - is well known for its fine flavor yummy cacao beans. The cacao farm that we work with grows cassava and avocado next to the cacao trees, which like we just learned - has a big influence on the taste.

There might be slight changes in taste or colour batch after batch.

We are very thankful for all the positive feedback on the taste of our cacao! Since we work with an organic farm with over 50 years of experience the farmers manage to deliver us a high quality cacao with a pretty stable flavor time after time! Yet, there might be slight changes in taste or colour, batch after batch..


And we hope you will support and enjoy. Cacao's natural wildness.




©2020 STAY WILD!

  • Instagram